The Resource The narrow road to the deep north : a novel
- The narrow road to the deep north : a novel
- Title remainder
- a novel
- Statement of responsibility
- Richard Flanagan
- From the winner of Australia's National Fiction Prize, author of the hugely acclaimed Gould's Book of Fish, a magisterial, Rashomon-like novel of love and war that traces the life of one man from World War II to the present. In the despair of a Japanese POW camp on the Thai-Burma Death Railway in 1943, Australian surgeon Dorrigo Evans is haunted by his love affair with his uncle's young wife two years earlier. His life is a daily struggle to save the men under his command from starvation, from cholera, from pitiless beatings. Until he receives a letter that will change him forever. Moving deftly from the POW camp to contemporary Australia, from the experiences of Dorrigo and his comrades to those of the Japanese guards, this savagely beautiful novel tells a story of death, love, and family; exploring the many forms of good and evil, war and truth, guilt and transcendence, as one man comes of age, prospers, only to discover all that he has lost
- Literary fiction
- Love stories
- Survivor guilt
- Prisoners of war, Australian
- Historical fiction
- Men/women relations
- Australia -- History -- 20th century
- Survival (in concentration camps, prisons, etc.)
- Forced labor
- Australian fiction
- World War II -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese
- Loss (Psychology)
- Thailand -- History -- 20th century
- Guilt in men
- ALA Notable Book, 2015.
- Man Booker Prize, 2014.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2014
- Tasmania Book Prizes, Margaret Scott Prize, 2015.
- Prime Minister's Literary Awards: Fiction, 2014.
- Queensland Literary Awards, Fiction Book Award, 2014.
- Western Australian Premier's Book Awards, Fiction category, 2014.
- Western Australian Premier's Book Awards, Premier's Prize, 2014.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of The narrow road to the deep north : a novel
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The narrow road to the deep north : a novel
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.evpl.org/resource/oemAofHbXWw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.evpl.org/resource/oemAofHbXWw/">The narrow road to the deep north : a novel</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.evpl.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.evpl.org/">Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...